The original six members of the all-student club known today as The Quarterdeck Society gathered in earnest in 1905, convinced that the naval architecture school needed a forum to present papers and discuss classroom-related topics.
So they got together under the tongue-in-cheek moniker “The Indoor Yacht Club.” They also designed a pin, whose logo is still used today.
But interest in papers and academic discussion waned, and the Indoor Yacht Club continued for two years as a purely social group. In 1908, however, they went back to a more serious format, giving themselves a serious name to match: The Quarterdeck Society.
Today, the club has evolved into a hybrid role, partnering with the U-M chapter of the Society of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering (SNAME). The Quarterdeck Society holds both social and academic events designed to provide networking opportunities and build a sense of community in the NAME department.