Four of the College’s emeritus faculty members—George I. Haddad, Don B. Chaffin, David J. Anderson and Thomas B. A. Senior—have joined together to endow the Engineering Emeritus Faculty Scholarship Fund. The fund will provide need-based scholarship support to undergraduate students in the College of Engineering.
Prof. Emeritus Haddad earned his BSE, MSE and PhD degrees from the University of Michigan, in 1956, 1958 and 1963, respectively, all in electrical engineering. He joined the faculty of the Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department in 1961, serving two terms as its chair before retiring in 2005 as the Robert J. Hiller Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, a title he held since 1991. Prof. Emeritus Haddad is a fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers and a member of the National Academy of Engineering.
Also an alumnus of the College (PhD ’67), Prof. Emeritus Chaffin joined the faculty in the Department of Industrial and Operations Engineering in 1969. He chaired the Department from 1976 to 1980. He was named the G. Lawton and Louise G. Johnson Professor of Engineering in 1993 and was honored with the Richard G. Snyder Distinguished University Professorship, and was elected to membership in the National Academy of Engineering in 1994. Prof. Emeritus Chaffin retired in 2007.
Prof. Emeritus Anderson began with the University of Michigan in 1970, first with the Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department. In 1971, he also joined the Department of Otorhinolaryngology and in 1997, he was appointed professor of biomedical engineering. From 1989-1996, he served as associate chair of EECS and retired in 2005. Prof. Emeritus Anderson is a fellow of the American Institute of Medical and Biomedical Engineering.
Beginning his tenure with the College as a research scientist in the Department of Electrical Engineering’s Radiation Laboratory, Prof. Emeritus Senior came to the University from the United Kingdom in 1957. Within the EECS Department, he served two terms as associate chair and filled the role of acting chair for one year. He also served as Director of the Radiation Laboratory from 1976 to 1987. He retired in 1998 as associate chair for academic affairs, a position he held since 1991. Prof. Emeritus Senior was appointed as an Arthur F. Thurnau Professor and is a fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.